Submitted by Taylor White, Langley and Taylor Pool Corp.
As you all know, there has been a recall of main drains for swimming pools. If the drain covers in your pool or in-ground spa were installed before December, 2008 and are not compliant with the VGB Pool & Spa Safety Act, your pool or spa is NOT affected by this recall. Most of the drain covers affected by this recall were manufactured or sold after December 19, 2008. Please see below the criteria in how it applies to your swimming pools. Please know this is a voluntary recall and not mandatory - for now. Make sure your drains are VGB-compliant in the first place.
The CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) is the governing force behind the recall. Know that revisions have historically been made to the VGB Act and can be made at any time.
The recall applies to the following:
- If the spa/wading pool/kiddie pool is less than 24 inches in depth AND has a single main drain or even a system with multiple drains, the recall applies.
- If the body of water (no matter of depth) has a single main drain, the recall applies.
The recall does NOT apply to the following:
- Pools with gravity main drains/filters
- Pools with dual/multiple main drains
- Drains that were installed prior to December 19, 2008
- Channel drains
- 24-inch drains or larger
- 9"X36" drains
Remember, this is a VOLUNTARY recall. An authorized installer must install the drain covers and the pool is to be registered with the manufacturer to make the installation.
For additional information about the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act, Click here.