Payroll & Benefits/HR Administrator
The Payroll & Benefits/ HR Administrator is responsible for all payroll functions and related timekeeping activities for all employees in accordance with federal and state laws and Ghertner & Company policy. Calculates deductions for group health, life, and disability insurance premiums and communicate to employees and management. Prepares reports and communicates with insurance carriers and other program vendors. Serves as a technical point-of-contact for payroll, attendance, and benefits reporting and ensures data integrity, testing of system changes, report writing, and HR related duties as needed.
Primary/Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Preparing and processing of biweekly payrolls including reviewing and ensuring accuracy of all approved payroll documents including Personnel Change Notices, electronic timesheets, and absence requests. Ensuring all payroll deductions and special actions such as garnishments and tax levies are processed timely and accordance with instructions.
- Coordinates W-2 reconciliations, W-4 audits, payroll balance sheets, YTD earnings, and other required year-end payroll tasks and projects.
- Transmitting retirement plan deferral files vendors within the agreed upon timeframes.
- Maintaining payroll and timekeeping records and tables, including annual updates.
- Establish and communicate payroll calendar and deadlines and process payroll accordingly through the HRIS.
- Calculating liabilities, filing tax and informational reports, remitting funds in accordance with liabilities.
- Preparing deduction reports for reconciliations.
- Prepares and maintains billing for benefits vendors.
- Preparing and transmitting annual W2 forms, ACA requirements, tax filings, etc.
- Keeping abreast of payroll and benefit legislative changes and update procedures to ensure compliance.
- Enters, new hire, pay, and benefit changes in the payroll system. Maintains the various pay, deduction, and payroll statistical data reports. Submits pay related data to benefit vendors such as non-qualified plan, 401K, health care, etc. Provides payroll information to support the 401K & DB audits. Responsible for Affordable Care Act compliance.
- Manage terminations for pay and benefits
- Pull payroll data from payroll vendor to calculate and pay monthly worker’s compensation invoice
- Administering company policies and implement, document and update procedures,
- Coordinates information between human resources, accounting, and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data.
- Recommend and document processes and customer service improvements, innovative solutions, and participate in policy changes and/or major variations from established policy that must be approved by appropriate leadership prior to implementation. Serve as a key liaison with third parties.
- Use project management skills in managing projects. May provide overall project support for a given HR initiative.
- Create, maintain, and support a variety of reports or queries utilizing appropriate reporting tools. Development of standard reports for ongoing customer needs. Maintain data integrity in systems by running queries and analyzing data in the HRIS.
- Works effectively with the HR department to ensure proper controls, document flows, coordination of changes, and data integrity.
- Trains new employees on the HRIS
- Other duties as assigned.
- Follow company policies and comply with company regulations. Cooperate and support colleagues.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- An associate's degree, or equivalent training and education beyond high school.
- Requires minimum of 5 years of payroll and benefits experience performing all payroll functions including the actual generation of a full payroll cycle and reporting.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Chrome.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organization skills, recordkeeping abilities, and the abilities to effectively multi-task
- Must have the demonstrated ability to effectively handle a large volume of work
- Experience with designing and documenting payroll processes
- Ability to manage workflow and prioritizing tasks to meet deadlines
- Effective time management skills.
- Customer service orientation
- Experience in Paychex payroll system preferred.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
- This job operates in a clerical, office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.